A good hypnotherapist can help you to make permanent and lasting changes in your behavior. S/he can also help you to reach amazingly deep levels of relaxation. However, till the time you meet one, self-hypnosis is something you can definitely try out to your advantage.
However, self-hypnosis is easy to learn and gets better with practice. Also as a tool for meditation, it is not just easy but also very effective. This article is to help you to experience what self-hypnosis is all about. There are of course various ways to experience this and also more purposeful and deeper techniques. But this article is enough for you to get kick started right away.
Remember, practice is essential and every single day, not only will you relax a little bit more quickly, but also each time you practice, you will go just a little bit deeper into a state of relaxation. The obvious advantages of this practice are stress reduction, better sleep and greater concentration. There are many more advantages and many more uses for a self-hypnotic session.
Here is how –
Make sure you find a place that is quiet and comfortable and make sure you select a time that you will not be disturbed by anyone during that time. Make sure, phones and alarms are switched off. For most meditative and similar practices, early morning and late nights are best, but if that is not possible, find the time that suits you the most. Find a comfortable chair or set up your space on the floor or on the bed such that you can remain in this position comfortable for upto an hour without getting uncomfortable. It is highly preferable that you do the entire exercise in a seated position. If you like, you can put on some soft soothing relaxing music in the background, make sure it is purely instrumental and has no vocals.
Read the following steps at least three times before you begin to practice. You can of course read and practice each step, but for your complete session, you would not be able to refer to your notes or this article. Trust your instincts and allow them to guide you – variations that suit you and make the process better for you are perfectly fine. What works for you is what is best for you – there is no such thing as a perfect formula for everyone.
- Once you sit down, take a few seconds to adjust yourself so that you feel perfectly comfortable and no part of you feels any strain or discomfort.
- Close your eyes and mentally, tell yourself that you intend to make this a deep relaxation session.
- Take three deep breaths, hold your breath for just a couple of seconds after you breathe in deeply before you breathe out.
- Imagine and visualize as you breathe in that you are taking in all the positive energy that the universe has to offer in the form of white mist – feel this white mist filling up your body and helping you to relax.
- As you breathe out, imagine and visualize that a grey mist is moving out of your body into the universe taking with it all the stress, all the tension, all the worries, all the irritation, all the anxieties from you.
- Do this thrice, I.e. for each deep breath.
- Starting from the toes of your feet, begin to relax your body all the way upto the top of your head. Tell yourself to relax, tell that part of your body to relax, do not force yourself to relax, just allow it to happen all by itself.
- Focus your attention on each part of the body as you work yourself up from the toes to the top of your head. As you relax the muscles in your head and neck, you may find your head falling forward and resting on your shoulder or with your chin on your chest. This is fine.
- As you progressively relax every muscle of your body, you slowly begin to slump like a limp doll.
- It is now time to deepen your relaxation. Start counting backward from 10 to 1 and tell yourself that with each count, you will go twice as deep into a blissful state of relaxation.
- At 1, you are now into a deep, very deeply relaxed state. If you feel a little light headed at this stage, it is pretty normal.
- Imagine or visualize that there is a door in front of you. Make a note of the colour, texture and material. Reach out with your hands and turn the knob.
- As you open the door, imagine or visualize that you have now stepped out into a beautiful garden. The garden is exactly as your imagination wants it to be. Flowers, birds, grass, shrubs, trees, a fountain or a waterfall – make a note of everything – the sights, the sounds, the feel of the grass under your feet, etc.
- Somewhere in the garden is a magic pool. Make yourself believe that you have found it and gently cup your hands to drink from the pool. Taste the pure clear water.
- As you stand up again, imagine or visualize a glowing white mist that rises from the waters of the pool and lovingly embraces and engulfs you.
- As the mist surrounds you, use positive affirmations to suggest the changes or improvements you want in your life.
- Now imagine or visualize yourself in these new circumstances and how you would act now that your behaviors and habits have changed.
- It is now time to awaken yourself. Start counting up from 1 to 10, telling yourself that with every count, you are becoming more alert, more awake, full of health and vitality and feeling perfectly fine and absolutely refreshed.
- Once you reach the count of 10, you can slowly open your eyes, enjoy the feeling for a few seconds and then get on with your day!
- Comment here on your experience and write to me in case you seek clarifications or assistance.